Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriDoodle
THANK GOD FOR THE INTERNET!!!

So true, so true. It's hard to imagine life before the internet. Funny enough, the internet scares some people who rely on the control of information.

Antibiotics are notorious for killing all good and bad bacteria. I won't even get started about antibiotics because they were the source of many of my problems. Antibiotic resistance is such a concern today, never mind with overuse of antibiotics, but the overuse of antibacterial soaps and cleaners. They've become rampant. We're not only killing the bad bacteria, but also the good bacteria that we need. When I was a teenager, I must have been on antibiotics for years to control my acne (which never helped). What's really unfortunate is that we are eliminating our body's ability to fight bacteria, viruses and infections. That's precisely what builds our immune system!!!! I read a quote written by a doctor about the use of antibiotics. He said it would take 2 weeks to get over a bacterial infection without antibiotics and 2 weeks to get over a bacterial infection with antibiotics. He also believed that hospitals should be the only place where antibiotics are given (in emergencies).

Not only do we have to contend with the abuse of antibiotics, but also the overconsumption of sugar. Sugar feeds yeast, which destroys the balance between yeast and beneficial bacteria. We desperately need beneficial bacteria for digestive health and a strong immune system.

Now, to answer your comment about probiotics, doctors won't prescribe them because they are taught to deal with symptoms only. Prevention is not a consideration, and even then you have to consider that doctors and drug companies would have to admit that drugs do harm. You wouldn't believe how brainwashed doctors are coming out of school. My husband and I have had great discussions since I turned to natural medicine (when conventional medicine could not help me). He just repeats what drug company reps tell him. Drug companies have control over the medical ciriculum and then maintain control through continuing education. I admire someone like Dr. Atkins who has had the courage to question everything he had been taught.

Having said that, some doctors are now starting to advise that probiotics be taken AFTER a course of antibiotics (taken during will only kill them off). The numbers are increasing, but it comes down to not wanting to admit that they were wrong all along. Isn't that what most of the problems today arise from? We're so caught up "saving face" that we won't acknowledge that we don't have all the answers. God knows, there are enough doctors out there with God complexes. It's what makes many of them so good, but ....

Oh God, I've rambled again.... this is getting embarrassing.