#6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 21:03
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Moon:

I guess we are a bit off topic, but really it all relates back to the politics of low carb eating. Junk food makes money which begets power which begets politicians and policy. No wonder Dr. Atkins has been vilified by his collegues.

I can't remember the source (I'll post if it comes to me - I think it was Atkins, though), but I read that the low-fat WOE didn't begin with medicine, but with a couple of senators, who understood (I assume from their constituents) that there was a lot of money to be made from selling high carb foods. It really didn't have anything to do with heart health. Maybe someone can fill me in on the details or source of this info in case I'm wrong.

As for the USDA, their conflicts of interest are so rampant that it's unbelievable that they have any credibility. Their acceptance of GMOs are a great example. Blindly accepting GMOs (which have never had to go through FDA testing) because their committee members have a vested interest in profits. They were the impetus behind trying to underhandedly force the UK into accepting GMO foods. How arrogant is that?

I won't even start on about health care. I'll be typing till midnight if I start. Us Canadians have no clue how difficult it is for people in the US who can't affort health care. It was heartbreaking to see what went on. Insurance companies (particularly HMOs) in the US are about as corrupt as it gets. I could tell horror stories.

The bottom line is that we shouldn't blindly accept what "expert" information is handed to us on a platter. We always have to ask "where's the bias?". When we know the bias, we can make more informed decisions.

OK, enough of me....