View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 19:37

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Katy

Just hang in there....they'll figure it out.

I agree with the doc that it's unlikely cancer, more likely a simple problem.

Where exactly is the pain? right under the breastbone? off to the right of left side? or is it lower in your belly? Is it intermittent? Sharp? Dull?

There are so many things it could be! Right under the breastbone could mean esophagitis, and inflamaion of the esophagus most likely due to reflux. Off to the right side, I'd go with gall bladder, especially if you followed a low fat diet prior to LC. Off to the left it could be pancreatitis or an intestinal problem. Lower in the belly it could be stomach, intestine, or even an infection somewhere. (My daughter always gets a belly ache when she gets strep throat or a bladder infection....she doesn't have any pain where the infection is)

The point is that there are so many things that it could be, and most are easily treated or cured.

I know what you mean about talking to the docs about the diet....I had the same problem in August when my doc questioned me. And so I just agreed with her and then did what I wanted to do.

I will tell you, tho....my GI doc (he's on staff at Duke, just quit an associate professor job there) is in full support of the high fat diet. He is friends with the doc that did the Duke/VA study and said that most patients had a decrease in all stomach/abdominal symptoms while on the diet and an increase when they went off.

I have GERD with a hiatal hernia and esophageal problems. He feels that this is the best diet to be following when you have stomach problems. If the doc gives you grief, agree with him and then do what you feel is right....if that's following his recomendations or not is up to you.

They probably won't talk to you much right after the procedure as you'll be pretty groggy....they'll probably tell you what they found, and make an appointment for you to go in and talk to the doc. If they do talk to you, they'll give you written instructions too.

Good luck and don't worry....it will all turn out fine. Keep us informed!

Cindy