View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 23:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

I have an idea, but it might be a little expensive. I think that lots of people think Atkins is the "only quack who advocates low-carb dieting." If you could prove to her that he is not the only person, the only doctor, who thinks fat is good for a person, you might convince her more willingly.

If you can't afford to buy her more than one book, like Protein Power or SugarBusters, in addition to the Atkins book (which I do prefer), perhaps you could take her to a bookstore and begin pointing out to her the large numbers of plans that now exist for low-carbers.

I just went to Borders this evening to look for a low-carb cookbook (special needs section of the cookbook section), and found many more than I expected. In fact, I found so many that I decided not to buy one from there and see if I could manage to get one through this site (recommended by posters, perhaps), because there were so many I was afraid I'd buy half a dozen and end up with the worst six.

Also, Dr. Atkins is a CARDIOLOGIST!!! This was VERY important to me because I'm a heart patient, 3-year survivor (in March) of a triple bypass. And, when I began this way of life, I was scared to death to make the wrong move with my health - afraid it would literally finish me off. Instead, it has saved my life.

Good luck with your friend! If she tries this, she will be so surprised and will probably thank you for the rest of her life.