#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 10:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/150.5/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default FDA carb info: Less than 1 and Zero

Hi everyone.

In case anyone else was wondering about this, I contacted the FDA and got confirmation on what I thought about food labeling re: carbs. (I thought I had read this in an earlier posting perhaps on a different board here, but couldn't find it again... so I went on a mission and here is what I found out. Sorry if this is duplicate info.)

Carbs are stated by rounding to the nearest gram. "Less than 1 gram" may be used if the serving contains less than 1 gram. If the serving contains less than 0.5 gram, the content may be expressed as zero.

So... I interpret that to mean that "Zero" means 0 to .49 grams and that "less than 1" can mean anything under 1, but if I was a manufacturer and it was .49 or less, I'd say "Zero." (But, IMO, I doubt that every manufacturer is being perfect re: calculations for the food labeling so I know you can't believe everything you read.)

I have pasted the actual verbiage from the federal regs into a word document. If anyone is dying to see it (LOL), please let me know.

Take care.

Jill in Phoenix

P.S. Why did I check into this???? I am not new to low carbing as I did it several years ago, with good success, before getting pregnant. But I am starting up again via induction and since every carb counts (and I usually spend all 20 in a day) I wanted to know for sure about the less than 1 and zero thing! Okay, I'm a bit anal too!
Sponsored Links