Old Thu, Nov-23-00, 23:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Re: How are we doing?

Hi Rachel,

It has been really weird here in Southeastern Ontario too. Often bright and sunny in the morning (melts the snow that fell overnight) then cloud over in the afternoon so that it's dark out by 4 pm. Last few days have been so COLD. Tonight, it's -10c, with a windchill of -20. Bbrrrr. I might try your idea of using the SADlite in the late afternoon, but only if it's dark and dreary. My computer room/studio has a HUGE window, facing southwest, so I get the sun all afternoon. Dining room window and patio door face southeast so I get the sun right from sunrise on through to noon. (I'm on the top floor, corner unit, it's perfect, I just love this apt.)
Quote:
Originally posted by r.mines
(What's a low-carb couch potato? Couch steak? Couch nut? Hmmm.)

A close look at the cellulite on my thighs prompts me to suggest couch CAULIFLOWER.
Quote:
I've also been experimenting with ephedra for energy. I take a 1/3 dose (8 mg) with coffee twice a day (morning and afternoon).

I haven't ruled out ephedra, ie. natural source ma huang. I want to do a little more reading, double-check on interactions with my other meds. 8 mg doesn't sound like a whopping harmful dose. Keep posting how you do with it, I'm curious.
Quote:
I tried St. John's Wort last year, and it seemed to help for a while, but then the effects faded. Again, I was only taking a small dose, maybe I needed to up it.

I have been taking it in the wintertime for three years now, and it does help. It works best if you take it over the long term, not just here and there. Make sure what you have is a standardized extract, 0.3% Hypericin (the active ingredient) with 300 mg per capsule. The usual dose is 300 mg one to three times per day. I only take it once a day, in the morning. It comes in different forms as well; not a lot of info. on the liquid extract drops. I have used FLORA brand, which is gel-caps filled with the hypericin extract, and felt that it was worth buying again. 90 capsules cost around $15. Currently, I have NAKA capsules, which contain 100 mg of powdered StJohn's Wort herb impregnated with 300 mg of the extract. The idea is that other phytochemicals present in the whole herb will enhance the hypericin. Who knows? They do help, and the cost was similar for 90 capsules. I wouldn't waste my money on teas or the whole dried herb in bulk - no guarantee of the hypericin content.
Quote:
OK, that's my ramble, for what it's worth. Thanks for being patient. It's nice to have this forum for rumination and working things out - hope it's not too boring!

Rachel, just wait till January and I start into the whining.

Doreen