Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Re: Obese and serious.....

Quote:
Originally posted by BigMamma12
[I find that every time I walk into my dr's office. He looks almost repulsed to touch me. I read up on thyroid stuff and brought it up to my dr and he was offended and criticized me for doing my own doctoring. I didn't mean to step on his toes, just looking out for my own body. If I don't who will right

Celina, I can so relate. I had a doctor once who wouldn't even touch me. He outright refused to do pap smears, etc. and became embarrassed when I asked him why. He finally had his nurse explain to me that he has a problem with large women - and I only weighed 220 then!

Have you told your doctor that you are on a low-carb diet? You're doing wonderful at it! Maybe it's time to explain some things to him. If he refuses to treat you, then you count as someone without a doctor - and can get another. You're absolutely right that you HAVE to look out for your own health because NOBODY will do it for you. The best doctors in the world are too busy to watch each patient as closely as they need. If yours isn't the best, and he isn't, then you have to take matters into your own hands.

I asked for a thyroid test, too. When asked why, I explained that I was doing the Atkins way of eating and that Dr. Atkins recommended the test for anyone who was having trouble losing. At that point, I was on a two-month stall and figured I qualified. He wasn't happy about it - then - but did give me the test. Now, I think he'd be even more accommodating because, thanks to my results, he is on the diet. This might be your opportunity to teach someone - or to get a better doctor.

Good luck!