View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 21:42

Plan: Maintenance since 6/08
Stats: 250/189/195 Male 70 inches
BF:Not so much.
Progress: 111%

Here's a little background info from Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

From Wikipedia: "The body mass index (BMI), or Quetelet index, is a statistical measure of the weight of a person scaled according to height. As such, it is useful as a population measure only, and is not appropriate for diagnosing individuals."

For example, at my height for me to be in the middle of the "normal weight" I would have to lose a leg at the hip. When I was 18 years old and came out of basic training I weighed 148 pounds. I looked like I escaped from the Auschwitz death camp. I kid you not. That would make me a 21.8 on the BMI scale, "normal weight".

Funny thing is, I grew another inch and a half in the next year and a half, and put on some muscle. My shoulders got wider, my chest got bigger, my thighs and calves got much bigger, etc. etc. etc. Umm, I finished physically maturing.

When I was 27 I was in the best shape of my life and weighed 195 pounds. That would put me 2 points away from being obese according to the charts. Sheer madness. I believe I read an article here several months ago about a person in the United Kingdom being denied surgery because of a high BMI. That scares the crap out of me.

What if my health insurance company decides to raise my rates because of my BMI?