View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 21:17
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

I too am an A, and I too (for a much shorter time : about 3 - 6 months) was trying to follow the blood type diet. At the same time I began checking out the "low carb" diets, mainly paleo types (only meat, eggs, fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds). I actually tried to do a combo of type A diet with paleo diet. Of course, the only meat I could eat was mainly fish. This was a REAL challenge... and very quickly failed. I began to feel quite strange, and thought it was because I was lacking any grains in my diet, so I started eating bread again. I then started thinking more and more about at least trying red meat. A friend of mine who is also an A (and a strict blood type diet follower) "warned" me that I would have a lot of digestive problems trying to digest red meat. I was a quasi-vegetarian for many years and rarely ever ate red meat (in fact it disgusted me), so I was inclined to believe her. (Of course, I was a high carb (grain)/sugar addict and felt lowsy all the time!). But, I could not ignore the powerful cravings I was having for hamburgers when I was trying the combo blood type/paleo diet. So, after a month of junking out, I went back to a paleo diet, but this time ignoring the entire blood type theories, and began eating lots of red meat (especially wild meat, like Bison and Deer). I immediately noticed just how good I felt. I also realized that it was the grains that were giving me digestion problems! So, I was "converted" to a strict paleo diet (no grains, beans, potatoes, milk, refined sugars), and started dropping both pounds and body fat like crazy. I lost 20 lbs of body fat in less than two months on this diet, eating all the fruits I wanted (even high-glycemic fruits like watermelon, pineapple, bananas, etc). I began to experiment and found that I could consume up to 20 bananas a day for one solid week and continue to (slowly) lose more weight and body fat! It was mind blowing. I thought I would have to limit my carbs, but now I know it is only dairy, grains and legumes that one needs to chuck, because, naturally those foods have only been around for a mere 5,000 to 10,000 years. And that is not long enough to make even the slightest dent in our genetic makeup. Of course, I did find that the more I restricted carbs (and the more red meat I consumed) the faster the lbs (and fat) melted off. Red meat and non-starchy vegetable matter is what my ancestors thrived on, and my genes love it... no matter my blood type.