View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 17:28

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

You know...the counting part only lasts as long as it takes you to get a handle on how many carbs are in certain foods. As much as I like to encourage variety, I know that many people are creatures of habit and tend to stick with the same group of veggies and other foods over and over.
Make a list of all the foods that you eat most frequently along with their carb counts per serving and keep it posted on the refrigerator. That way, you'll have a handy at-a-glance guide for what you're about to eat. You could even try making yourself a chart for things that have carbs like cheese, veggies, cream and coffee and check off boxes as you go through the day so you can see at a glance where you are. Another option would be to set a carb limit per meal and so you only have to count how many you have at a meal and not worry about how many you've had for the day as long as you stick with your per-meal carb limit.
The purpose for counting carbs has two sides; first to make sure that you aren't getting too many and then to make sure that you are getting enough.
If you find keeping track difficult, how about giving Fitday a try? Here's a link to the website: www.fitday.com It's free and doesn't take long to register. You can put in the foods you eat as you go through the day to see how well you are keeping on track. It also allows you to see how many grams of protein, fat and calories you are eating as well as giving you the ability to see how well you are meeting your nutritional needs all for the small price of a few minutes and a couple of clicks on your mouse.
Yes, you can low carb by sticking with foods that you know are low in carbs, but you may be depriving yourself unnecessarily by doing that and eating way fewer carbs than you could. On the other hand, you may be unwittingly sabotaging yourself by eating way more carbs than you think.
No matter which weight loss plan you choose, you are going to wind up counting something; either carbs or calories and fat grams. I guess it just comes down to what you are more comfortable counting.