#2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 22:27
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi there,

I was officially diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1991 .. 33 yrs old at the time. I was not obese at the time, and was very active ... aerobics and aquafit classes every week, plus my then-partner and I were very outdoorsy, frequently going on long hikes and canoe trips on weekends. But I definitely had symptoms for at least 2 or 3 years before that, especially the non-restorative sleep disorder and yes, episodes of mild wintertime depression. Note though, that depression is only associated with fibro, it's not a diagnostic symptom.

I did not become obese until about 4 or 5 yrs after diagnosis .. the fat piled on when I followed a lowfat vegetarian diet in the belief that it was much more healthy for me. Pfffttt, I was always hungry, and never felt satiated no matter how much brown rice or whole wheat I ate. I ultimately developed Irritable Bowel from overexposure to grains, plus many fibro symptoms worsened, especially the hypoglycemia and profound fatigue. At least that has improved with low-carbing!

Not all people diagnosed with fibro are overweight women over 40 who need a better attitude. There are teenagers and men with fibro too.

Sounds like that dr needs to catch up to the 21st century

Doreen