#23   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 11:25

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerdric
This is independent of how many nickles I mix into the dimes. Since only the first one counts, as long as I supply both nickles and dimes, the filter does the choosing.

ok. and yes i see where you're going with this. varying the diet will vary the environment and vary which sperm are able to survive and which aren't.

one thing i always found interesting, from the day i took the sexual biology course in college and with each discovery health documentary i see on reproduction, is that despite common knowledge the odds are actually AGAINST pregnancy and gestation... then again, this is the same common knowledge that gives us the "fat is bad, carbs are good" dogma.

sperm can live for about 5-7 days. eggs are only viable for 24 hours after release from the ovary. except for the days immediately surrounding ovulation, the female body is incredibly hostile to sperm. while it only takes one sperm to fertilize an egg, it takes all of them working together to get to the egg and break down the protective membranes so that fertilization is possible. and with the 50% spontaneous miscarriage statistic that nancy posted, it's surprising that anyone ever gets born in the first place.

what bothered me was the tone of the article, which made it sound like "eat 2 from column A and 1 from column B and you'll have a girl, eat 3 from column C and 1 from column A and you'll have a girl, eat a combination of 6 from columns B, C, and Q and you'll have twins." it's totally discounting the male role. no matter what the woman eats in the hopes of having a boy, if the sperm that makes it to her egg produces a girl, then she's having a girl.