View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 11:54
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

A few months ago I was totally obsessing about what I ate and would eat. I actually started a thread in the General Low Carb section about that. I don't know if it will work (I'm not nearly as good with computers as most of the people on here appear to be), but I'll try to post that link:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=72220

My obsession has really decreased since then and I think there are probably three reasons for that. First, I think that openly acknowledging it and talking about it helped. Second, I think the fact that I have now lost enough weight that everyone has noticed and remarked upon it has made me confident that this is really working, so I don't need to obsess as much. Third, I'm just much more comfortable with what I eat and will eat. I know what menus and recipes work and don't work, so I don't need to think about it all the time.

I think that it is natural to obsess on something that is new and very different, but for most of us that obsession goes away in time. Once you get used to the idea that this WOE is working and that you are steadily losing weight, you'll probably stop obsessing so much about the scale and ketostix.

I'm with Donald on the ketostix. I've never used them. I assume I am in ketosis most of the time since I've been losing weight steadily. If I stopped losing for several weeks in a row, I might try them. Unless that happens, who cares? I'd rather save the money for something more important.

I do get weighed regularly, but it has never been an obsession for me. This may be because for my first 2-1/2 months on this WOE I did not own a scale that went high enough for me to be able to use it. Thus, I had to take it on faith that I was losing weight.

Would it work to put your scale in the attic or the basement for a while, so you have to exert some effort to fine it and use it? That should make it more difficult to weigh yourself several times a day, especially with triplets to run after!

Good luck. I think the obsessions will pass as you get more used to this WOE.