View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 07:44

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hmmm...do you have a crock pot and can you crack an egg and boil water? Do you have 3 hours or so a week that you can spend cooking meats or keeping an eye on foods in the oven? Can you find at least one or two veggies on the allowed list that you do like?
Most meats can be cooked ahead and frozen for later use. I do this all the time and it works great. Bacon and sausage can be cooked in bulk and put in the refrigerator in a Ziplock bag; pull a few pieces out when you need them and zap them in the microwave for a few seconds. Eggs take less than 5 minutes to fry or boil. Thin cuts of meat take about the same amount of time.
I can microwave an entire family size bag of frozen broccoli in 10 minutes and cook the meat on the stove while the veggies are cooking in the microwave. It certainly doesn't take more than a few minutes to make up a hamburger patty and fry or broil it.
My point is that you don't have to be a gourmet cook to eat well on this WOE. You don't even have to spend hours in the kitchen every day if you don't want to. If you can spend a few hours once a week cooking several types of meat at one time to keep in the refrigerator, meal times can be just as quick as making a sandwich or some soup. One trick my DH used to use when he was in college and working full time was to make one big batch of something like chili or spaghetti sauce on the weekends and then eat that for dinner all week. Yes, it probably got a bit boring around the 3rd or 4th day, but it was quick and easy.
Crock pots are a wonderful time saver. All you do is put in the meat with some liquid and seasonings and the crock pot does all the work for you. You don't even have to tend it; just turn it on and leave for the day and you have dinner ready whenever you are. Some crock pots even have a "keep warm" feature that you can set it to stop cooking after a set amount of hours and then just keep the food warm until you are ready for it.
Check out the recipes forum. There are several recipes (at least) for very easy casserole type dishes that reheat very well and they are very easy to put together.
It's been my experience that we make time for those things that are most important to us and if we want to accomplish something badly enough, we usually find a way to do it. It may not be easy to eat this way on a busy schedule, but with a little time and planning, it's very possible.