#11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 10:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/136/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64dodger
Are they going to ban the candy bars, cokes, chips, cookies, carkes and the like from all of the grocery stores?

Exactly. McDonald's is far from the only problem. They are the biggest, most recognizable, therefore easily targeted IMO.

Yes kids are enticed by cartoon characters, toys, and cutesie names for products. But as others have said, they are not taking themselves to fast food restaurants and buying the junk. Their parents are. I do allow my kids to have fast food once in a while, however my 7 year old does not whine and cry if we drive by McDonald's and I say NO, not today. She knows I will not give in to that. She knows that throwing tantrums is unacceptable behavior. She knows the choice is not hers. Sadly the same cannot be said for many families. A spoiled kid becomes a much bigger problem than a Happy Meal once in a while.

People who do take their kids to eat at McDonalds multiple times per week might stop if there was no Happy Meal-however they would probably just end up taking their business elsewhere, to a place that does have a kid's meal of some sort, or buying starchy sugar-filled convenience foods to eat at home. Many would continue to go there and just buy them a regular burger and fries instead-the toys are junk anyway. I highly doubt that this is the answer to cutting childhood obesity.