View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-08, 10:40
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Yeah, I really do think McDonald's gets the blame because they are so pervasive. But you know, most people eat a lot more carbs and calories when they have pizza. And it doesn't help to get McDonald's unless you also get KFC, Taco Bell, Carl's Jr., Jack in the Box, Sonic -- we could be here all day with the list, not counting the mom&pop places making the same stuff.

And did I mention that most chinese places are mondo carbs, even the 'plain meats' usually have sugar sauces (my kid, if we do chinese buffet, wants to eat rice, mac&cheese, and corn, with "frozen dessert product" (not ice cream, whatever it is) after... what chinese has to do with any of that, who knows?). The list goes on. The food court in any mall is usually pretty killer. Hey, giant pretzels will kill you too.

The only reason Olive Garden isn't blamed for killing off our population is because it's less convenient (no drive-through) and too expensive for people to eat there 5+ times a week. Which is really too bad. 'cause if you gotta die of lousy eating, let it be something that tastes more like OG than McD!

The minute someone says "legislation" my stomach clenches. There is seriously something wrong with half our population that wants to legislate every damn thing, like maybe they didn't get enough proper parenting so they want the government to take over making broad-stroke "rules" to make everybody else behave the way they think everybody else should.

I'm offended that any privately owned business should have to do *anything* they don't choose to do -- that includes smoking (if people don't like it, they don't have to eat there! and I've never been a smoker, hate it), it's the ethics of free enterprise of it -- it's THEIR business. Golf clubs can ban women every day but Wednesday and that isn't allowed in 'public' stuff either but that's seen as 'a private' enterprise even though it is public. Bosh, everything not owned by the government is a private enterprise. If restaurants in new york want to use saturated or trans fats, it's their business -- their clients can choose with their wallets.

If the government is going to go making any kind of "legislation" at all about food, it ought to simply be that those providing the food, provide the details of the contents, so people can choose what they prefer.

To ban the evil fat of the moment from restaurants, while next door they're selling you vodka and next door to that they're selling you Doritos and 44oz Pepsi, is ludicrous.

PJ