#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 10:40
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%
Question Problems with self image

I've lost 50 or 60 pounds and although I still have a long way to go, I am definitely smaller than I used to be. The problem is, I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out what size I am. I was out shopping with my daughter yesterday afternoon and we stopped in a deli to get something to drink. The waitress led us to a booth and I looked at it and was convinced that there was no way I would fit in. I tried it and easily fit with room to spare. I had a similar experience recently with a turnstile. I watched a large guy ahead of me go through with a great deal of trouble and I thought, this is going to be embarrassing, I am going to have to squeeze through this also. Well, I breezed through the turnstile. I've had the same experience with chairs with arms -- thinking I would not fit and then easily sliding into the chair.

While all these experiences ended up being positive, the feeling of panic I had before realizing I fit in the booth/turnstile/armchair was definitely not positive. If I could develop a better sense of what size I am, I think I could avoid some unpleasant and unnecessary heart pounding and panicking.

Do any of you other triple digit club members who have lost a significant amount of weight have any suggestions for readjusting my mental image of myself so that I can be a little more comfortable in these types of situations?
Sponsored Links