View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 09:54

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Nothing has no side effects

St. John's wort has a LOT of side effects and can, for some people, be even more trouble than prescription meds. It makes me wickedly sun-sensitive, for one, and it affects some liver enzymes that shift how other substances are metabolized and can thereby affect blood levels of several different maintenance medications. Plus, it's not covered by insurance.

Fish oils may support mood. 5-HTP affects one of the mood biochemicals. D3 helps. Exercise helps. Sunshine probably helps, but I can take that for granted in NC. People north of here have to work at getting sun more than I do.

But OTOH, depression is a disease, with long-term secondary effects such as cardiac problems, that appear to ride on the depression itself. Not treating it effectively is not much different from hoping tuberculosis will go away, except that depression is not currently believed to be contagious (but who knows what we will learn before we're all dead). If OTC and "natural" stuff doesn't work, please reconsider your stance before giving away too much of your life to a disease you don't necessarily have to suffer from.