Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 07:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 279/175.9/176 Male 180cm
BF:39.6%/22%/18%
Progress: 100%
Default Japanese New Year Food

Hi and Happy New Year,
As you can see in my profile, I live in Japan.
Christmas is not such a big deal here but the New Year is.
Families gather on New Years day and eat from early morning to night (and many continue for a few days). Having lived here for ten years I new what was install for me - lots of fish, beans, strange vegetables all prepared with sweet sauces and a lot of unknowns and of course deep fried crumbed prawns (shrimp) and pork. Even before I started LC I was not so keen on tradition Japanese New Year Food. It looks great (see picture below) but it's one time of the year that I try and avoid the usually GREAT tasting Japanese foods.
So what did a good Low Carber on Atkins Induction do?????
I made my own "Bento" (Japanese for lunchbox) and WOW was it good. So good that the rest of the family wanted the same.
Apart from introducing a Japanese tradition I wanted to show the kind of lunchbox that anyone can make (for picnics, everday lunches or dinners, etc,). Take a look at My FitDay for January 1st and although my calories are a little high (usually 2000 - 2400) the all in important Carb count is only 22 - 5 (fiber) = 17g. I definatly ate too much roast beef that day but the scales still went down.
Hope you find the pictures interesting.
Have a good 2003.
Simon.

Sponsored Links