#3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 23:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
I have been using heavy whipping cream (Shamrock Farms brand) in many LC recipes as called for. However, when I do math, I'm a bit confused. I have always heard/read that heavy cream is the lowest in carbs vs., for instance, regular milks and the lower you go in fat content the higher you get in carbs

Hiya! TLawson is right, there should be only 6.4-6.6g carbs in 16 tablespoons/8 fluid ounces/1 Cup of heavy or whipping cream. There may be additives (always check the Ingredients List for additives like sugars, maltodextrin, glucose, whatever -- learn to recognize the sugars. Then again, US labels are allowed to "round" up or down the carbs, so that tablespoon serving MAY be 0.66g rounded to 1g or it MAY be the additives. You need to know about reading labels and using a good carb counter -- there are excellent paperbacks and the TIPS section on the menu bar above, and even an online carb counter available on the TOOLS section of the menu bar above.

Another thing you might want to consider... experienced low carbers make a mix of cream and water to subsitute for milk in recipes, they do not substitute 1 for 1 equivalent measures. For example, if 1 Cup of milk (12g carbs) is called for, 1/3 Cup cream (2.2g carbs) and 2/3 Cup water (0 carbs) is used in place of the milk, for a total carb value of -- ta da! -- 2.2g. Lots more useful recipes and subsitutions and other valuable cooking info is available in the LowCarb Kitchen forum.

--- finally, I'm going to send this thread on over to the Newbies' Questions forum, where you will find a ton of helpful information on your journey, I'm sure!

Hope this helps!

sig: Products Forum Moderator