View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 15:00

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Only if it doesn't hurt!

CJ, I peeked at your gym log and I'd say you're definitely working out pretty intensely. Whether or not to add ab work ? My gut (no pun intended) reaction would be to throw in a session after a cardio day once a week.

Just a couple of points: when you do the big compound moves like deadlifts, squats, pushups, should presses and chest presses you're using your abs and your back muscles to help stablize your body (this is often called 'core strengthening') - they get a workout every time you work out. Concentrating on perfect form will help ensure this is the case.

Your stomach area being your 'largest problem' isn't uncommon for men - that's usually the last area that shapes up. For women it's the butt / hips. Doing extra crunches or sit ups isn't going to make a difference in the rate at which this area firms up - it's all a function of % of body fat. Remember, spot reducing does not work. That being said, abdominal fat responds better to intense cardio vascular exercise than other types of fat. The program you're doing (circuit like, keeping the heart rate up, keeping it aerobic) will go a long way to helping get rid of the abdominal fat. Once it's gone you're going to want some abs to show for it, right?

Working the abs once a week, but working them hard is my preference (these days!) That hasn't always been the case - you can work them more frequently. As with any muscle group, it's about intensity and quality not quantity. There are some great posts in this forum on ab work if you try a search.

Cheers,
Nat