View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 09:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/157/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 14%

I'm a hiring manager for a very large help desk. I've had as many as 140 people working with me.

Let me assure you that weight is probably on the bottom of the list as far as reasons for not promoting someone.

I was given some very good advice when I was on my way up the ladder. The president of my company, knowing I was up for promotion, scolded me for not being more visible. I did my job 110%, totally remainded focused, never missed a day, etc., but no one new I was around. He encouraged me to get out on the floor, have opinions, get involved. It took away from my focus of my duties (or so I thought) but made me more visible to the other management of the company.

There's an incredible amount of truth in this. You've got to sell yourself, and you can only do that by being visible. Have an opinion: it doesn't even matter if you are right, just that you are not afraid of speaking up and taking a stand. Stay open to suggestion, praise those around you. Never put someone down who may be your competition. It makes you look bad.

This all worked for me! I've reached my goals, and now have my sights on greater goals. I'm overweight, I'm short, and I have a large nose! All those things contributed to a low self-esteem which contributed to me actually trying to be invisible. I thought everyone would just "know" I was doing a good job. Nope. I had to stand up and be noticed.

Good luck moving up!