View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-07, 21:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 189/162/135 Female 61.5
BF:
Progress:
Default Question about Polyinsaturated fats

I have a question about the following that was written......

"27. Although the government's Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends that Americans cut their daily saturated fat intake to 10% and certain researchers recommend replacing saturated fat with polyunsaturated fat, there appear to be valid reasons to fear replacing saturated fats with polyunsaturated fats.(53) When the arterial plaque of deceased humans was examined it contained polyunsaturated fats.(54) Oxidation of fats whether it occurs in the body or whether oxidized fat is ingested is known to lead to clogging of the arteries. The fat that oxidizes the easiest is polyunsaturated fat.(55) Saturated fats are the most stable.(56)

I went to look up polyunsaturated fats to know what contained it and found the following on wikipedia....

"Polyunsaturated fat, along with monounsaturated fat are "healthy fats," the amount of which in one's daily diet should be near 25 g (in a 2000 calorie-per-day diet).[citation needed] Polyunsaturated fat can be found mostly in grain products, fish and sea food (herring, salmon, mackerel, halibut), soybeans, and fish oil. "

So, is it not wise to take fish oil capsules? I was told it would reduce my bad cholesterol (it's 189) and thought it was good for other things as well. I don't eat fish so don't get it from foods. My triglycerides are only 89 and my good cholesterol is 45...buti thought it would be good to get the bad a bit lower or at least know if my bad cholesterol is made up of the bad or good fat. I'm a bit confused.
What polyunsaturated fats should I avoid?? I tried to go to a couple links in this thread that was suppose to explain them but they didn't work.

Thanks,
Lori