View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 13:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Well, good luck with the doctor search, though it doesn't sound like your current doctor is completely against it. A lot of people do give up because they're bored with the diet, but I think it has more to do with their lack of committment to it than boredom. I say that because there are SO many ways to add variety to this way of life that boredom has only been a problem for me in the first two weeks - mainly because I was the only person eating this way and had to cook for my family as well. Now, we're all on Atkins and it's easier for everybody.

I went on Atkins because my health required a change. At the time, I had no idea it would ever be anything more than a diet for me. I didn't know it changed body composition. Even after reading the book, I didn't believe it would be as powerful a way of life as it is. I have a long way to go to improve my health and now know that I will ALWAYS need this way of life to stay healthy, even if I ever reach my goal weight. That gives me the impetus needed to FIND variety so that I CAN make this a way of life instead of a diet. The nicest part about low-carbing, in my opinion, is the fact that you never need to go hungry - ever.

If you don't think you could do a low-carb lifestyle for years, if not forever, there are other options. Low carbing isn't for everyone, just as eating a low-fat diet isn't for everyone. But, I don't think boredom is a "real" problem. When I was eating low-fat, I took a few years to adjust to that way of eating and learned how to put variety in a diet that seemed very unappealing to me when I began. Trust me - nobody EVER said I shouldn't do it because I might get bored with the available menu items.