View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 09:25
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

There seem to be two different groups of people on this forum: people who track everything/most of what they eat on places like fitday and worry about their percentages, total calories, etc. and people who have a somewhat more relaxed attitude and eat when they are hungry while watching the carbs. The people who track are somewhat more vocal because it takes more energy to track what you eat and there is just a lot more to think about/talk about.

You need to do what works for you. I've lost about 50 pounds without ever logging on to fitday and with no idea of how many calories I eat in a day or what percentage of my diet is from fat. The think I like about this woe is that I don't have to worry about those things -- I just keep an eye on my carbs, eat whenever I am hungry, stop eating when I am full, and make sure to eat at least three meals a day with protein in all three meals and vegetables in two of them. I drink water regularly through-out the day, but I don't track how much I am drinking. For the first time in decades, I can simply enjoy eating without feeling guilty and without worrying about the composition of everything I am eating. However, if I hit a stall I may well start doing some tracking on fitday.

If you are losing weight doing what you are doing AND if you feel good (energetic, happy, etc.), why change what you are doing? I agree that you need to make sure you get at least three servings of vegetables a day and you need to make sure you eat three decent meals a day. Beyond that, many of us who are over-weight need to spend less time focusing on what we eat, not more time.

However, if you are not losing doing what you are doing, or are feeling poorly, then you might want to try the other tactic -- tracking what you eat on fitday.