View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 00:54

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Reviews of the scientific literature also fail to demonstrate any links between high intakes of protein and any chronic or degenerative disease. This includes a large number of scientific efforts to find a link between protein and coronary heart disease, cancer, or osteoporosis.

From the site you posted.

I agree with Wa'il. I take in a minimum of 120 gms of protein every day, and never worry about how much I've eaten. I do not add extra fat often, and I rarely fry things, so I have to get my calories somewhere! I wasn't brought up on fried foods and don't tolerate fats when my stomach acts up...and poor quality fats, like those at fast food joints can actually make me sick.

According to Protein Power, you cannot take in too much protein. I've read artices on the web about research being done to check the effects of extremely high protein intake, and so far they havent' found anything bad! The way I understand it is your body uses what it needs and discards the rest. It isn't converted to fat, isn't stored, and doesn't cause kidney disease (although when found in urine can mean kidney disease). Because protein is not stored, you should split up your protein as evenly as possible over the day...eating smaller means every 2-3 hours makes this easier.

If you're satisfied, you'll stick with this way of eating. If you are hungry and craving things you won't....not in the long term! Protein fills me up faster and seems to last longer. Way back in nursing school we learned that protein was important (actually the most important part of your diet), and unless you had a medical condition that made protein dangerous, you were fine.

I agree with ELP...try to get up to around 1gm of ideal body weight if you are doing cardio and weights! Don't forget, you're going to need more protein to develop and tone those muscles you're working on!