Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 00:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/256.5/165 Female 5'7"
BF:54%/44%/25%
Progress: 41%
Default cracking corner sores of mouth

Hi,

I have had recurrences of this problem for about 10 years. I thought it was stress related, too, and always succeeded in getting control of it by taking extra B vitamins and getting rest. However, in recent years, that no longer worked. B2 deficiency can cause this, but I knew I was not lacking in B vitamins because of the supplements I have taken for years. Further internet investigation finally turned up yeast as a cause. Given that I have a Lonnnnnnng history with yeast problems, this fit my personal profile.

My primary physician said to put neosporin on it because I was probably getting secondary infection and that's why it was not going away. This did seem to help, but did not cure it. I was getting concerned about scarring. Finally, I went to my dermatologist and asked about it, giving my history with yeast problems, and he gave me a prescription for a cream called Spectazole (econazole nitrate 1%) Cream.

This has done the trick! Within a couple of days it was completely gone, and it had been the most severe I had ever experienced. I have not had any more recurrences for months, and am no longer worried about it now that I have this weapon.

Your doctor was right in that it probably was brought on by stress. Stress lowers the immune system so you cannot fight off things like yeast infections, and it also depletes the body of B vitamins, so either form of "chelitus" (I think that's the spelling) could bring it on. Once there are cracks in the skin, other bacteria can take advantage of the opportunity to create secondary infection, so it is a good idea to deal with it as fast as possible. Use Neosporin, take extra vitamins and get extra rest to help boost your immune system until you can get a doctor to prescribe the cream.

Good luck! Feel free to email me privately if you please. rensong~directvinternet.com

kaelen