View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 12:39

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

The idea behind induction is very much like a drug withdrawal programme and almost as hard. There are carbs in milk, albeit limited and some people do have some intolerances. So in this respect, semi-skimmed milk(2%) is better than skimmed(1%). Whole milk is better than semi skimmed. Cream is better than whole milk and of course best of all is none at all.

Atkins also recommends decaffeinated tea and coffee because the caffeine for some people has an inhibiting weight loss effect. Similarly using any sweetner at all can fool the body into producing insulin and it is the insulin spike that you are trying to avoid.

Bear in mind that this is only for two weeks and is designed to shock the system into coping without its |"sugar buzz" and kickstart the process of weight loss. After that you then add back in the cream or whole milk. I hate decaffeinated coffee but I put up with it for two weeks. I am lucky that it does not affect me anyway.

It is the same reason why cheese, which although a good protein and fat source, is limited on induction. There is some carbohydrate present and again the objective is to almost zero the carb intake in the opening fight against the flab. Zero is not really possible and some intake cannot really be avoided which is why the suggestion is to get under 20grams per day.

If you count up absolutely everything I am always surprised at how many are present. 20 grams turns out to be quite difficult to do. There is always filler in hamburgers and sausages, flour in sauces, sugar in the ketchup etc. etc.

Having said all that there is no such thing as "can't" in this new way of eating. It is the total carbohydrate that you are trying to limit and the amount that is right for you may not be the same as for me. It is not the particular food. For example one banana and you have blown all the 20 carbs. Two slices of toast and you have blown it in spades. This is what you will have to experiment with and most of all- read labels and know exactly what you are eating. You have already found http://www.fitday.com to check out particular foods. Definitely a good idea for other readers of this post.

Some people lose quite easily on 40-50 carbs. But experience has shown that if you limit yourself to 20 carbs that is going to work.

So it is not the end of the world if you whiten you hot drinks with milk. Think of it as a detox. Perhaps you will even develop a taste for black coffee