View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 13:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Hi There! At 46, I certainly find it is true that losing weight just gets harder! I sure wish I had found this WOL earlier..........oh well. Our bodies need fewer calories as we get older and on top of that, we generally aren't as physically active. Those little creaks and groans I always heard about are a reality! For women, as we approach menopause, hormones and chemistry begin to change, and it can be much harder to lose. Also, with aging, fat starts to distribute differently, so it can make you look heavier. I really tend to gain weight in my abdomen now, whereas, when I was younger I tended to gain it in my behind! We cannot turn back a clock, but we can work towards making the aging process as pain free as possible.

Just my opinion - but I think that dieting back and forth really messes with your metabolism. Commonly known as the yo-yo syndrome. We diet in wrong ways and the body deals with it by thinking it is starving and really works to put those pounds back on and keep them on!

For me, I always believed in the low-cal diets. There were lots of complex carbs meant to fill you up. These complex carbs make the body produce an excess of insulin which is the hormone that tells your body to store fat!

You are on the right track! Do this while you are young and that gives you some definite advantages. You won't be 46 and trying to do what I have to do. Welcome aboard! Cindi