View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 08:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/208/185 Male 5'11"
BF:30
Progress: 52%
Default No doctor yet

I'm unemployed and uninsured at the moment and I just moved to a new state after my type 2 diagnosis. Before I moved I suspected I had diabetes and went to Urgent Care where my sugars/ketones were tested. From there I was promptly sent off to the emergency room (ketoacidosis). Anyway, I was able to see a doctor afterward twice on her lunch hour for free and I was brought up to speed a little on diabetes. She gave me some samples of Amaryl which I took (I don't plan to go back on Amaryl, though) and I was temporarily put on fast acting insulin when my sugars got above 150 (8.3) . I was using the insulin a lot in the beginning, but I've really tightened my control since then and I haven't been going over 150. However, so far on Atkins my BGs average 124 (6.8) after a meal and 144 (8) when I wake up. I've been working out religiously during this period, too. I've just started reading Bernstein and I have the impression that he would probably consider this too high and would prescribe Metformin. So my question is, do these levels probably require meds? Also, does anyone have advice on finding a good endocrinologist or GP? I really wish I could interview a physician before I actually went in to see them, but that's almost impossible. Now that I have a real disease it's become apparent to me that finding a good doctor is a serious task. Thanks for any advice.

Tom
Sponsored Links