#12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-02, 15:39
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 205/175/170
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hi there!

Right now I am probably reading every low carb book on the market. I felt so much better eating this way, I wanted to educate myself as much as possible. I must say, once you start reading, the diverse opinions on how to low carb by various authors are very interesting. But the important bottom line is, no matter how you do it, it's just important to cut carbs. That's the bottom line in mostly all the books.

One book I read recently, Life Without Bread was truly wonderful. Although I had been using certain elements of the Insulin Resistance Diet, I realized that even though I was following the general principles, I was still eating too many carbs in one day. On the Insulin Resistance plan it's easy to do that, because the emphasis is on carb/protein combining, not total carbs for the day. This kind of scared me, because diabetes is rampant in my family, and I felt the tug to lower my carbs.

So now I'm following what I learned in Life Without Bread, still eating all the low carb veggies, proteins and healthy fats I want, but limiting my carbs. He uses a concept called "Bread Units" for counting. Very easy to do.

I think it's important for all of us to keep tweaking and evolving our own individual plans. Although I felt great on my last plan, I feel even greater on this one, probably because I lowered my carbs and I'm so genetically carb-resistant, due to all the diabetes in my family.

So, if you want to invest another few bucks (it's not expensive book), check out Life Without Bread By Wolfgang Lutz. He's an MD who practiced low carb on his patients for over 40 years in Europe, long before it even became popular here.

Spirit