View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 16:08

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Sharon!

I don't think there's any need for you to go on a liquid diet just yet. From what you posted, I do see a couple of possible problems. First...where's the fat??? You do know that Atkins isn't a low fat diet, right? Strange as it sounds, you need fat to lose fat and on Atkins induction at least 60% of your daily calories should be coming from fat. Second, you may not be getting enough calories. The goal to shoot for is about 12 times your goal weight or no less than 1,200 calories a day. If you aren't getting enough calories, the body has a tendency to not want to let go of its fat stores as it thinks a famine has begun. Cheese is limited on induction to no more than 4 ounces a day and liquid cream is limited to no more than 2 fluid ounces a day (4 tablespoons). Despite what the package says, heavy cream has 6.5 grams of carb per cup and whipped cream has about 1 gram for 2 level tablespoons. If the carb count per serving is less than 1, they can legally lable it as zero in the united states; this doesn't mean that there are no carbs in the entire package, just that there is less than 1 gram of carb per serving. You should also make an effort to drink at least eight 8 oz. glasses of water a day. You also seem to be needing more veggies. On induction, you are allowed 2 cups of salad veggie and 1 cup of cooked veggie. Eating your veggies also adds fiber along with vitamins and nutrients that you need and will help with the constipation too.
When you cheat, it may not necessarily show up on the scales the next day; it could be 2 or 3 days before you see the results which is what I believe happened in your case. Constipation can also cause you to retain water, so keep up with the psyllium husks and make sure you are drinking plenty of water; both of these should help.
If you find tracking calories, carbs and fat grams difficult, you can register for free at a site called www.fitday.com; it's a great tool to help you see how you're doing! HTH