#4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 19:58

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jerry, I'm going to try to tackle this as basically as I can

Quote:
So in your opinion, would taking about 75 - 100 grams of glucose per day be advantageous over taking the same in fructose?
This would depend on your goals. 100 grams of glucose a day is, IMHO, going to keep you out of ketosis. That doesn't mean you can't lose fat though; it's just counter productive if you're following a LC WOE.

LC is about controling insulin and keeping it stabilized. For the greater part, particularly on this forum, it's also about changing ones WOL (way of life). I understand that it can also be used as a tool; however 3 protein drinks per day containing 75-100 g of glucose isn't something that you can or should do for any length of time (again, my opinion). What puts you, and keeps you, in ketosis is not the protein or the lack of carbs per se it's the FAT.

From reading through your post about Brain Fog I take it that you're following a very low carb diet - something self designed. Keeping carbs very low, eating just protein and little fat isn't fun - it's monotonous and it can lead to problems (such as constipation, loss of minerals and vitamins and eventually it will mess up your hormones) Have you tried following one of the plans, like Protein Power or even a CKD? It's possible to eat a LC diet that's balanced and healthy and still be able to workout intensely while losing fat (PP). Alternatively you can use a short term plan that has been tried and tested and delivers results (CKD).

Quote:
...and hopefully keep all the glucose entering my muscles and not stored in my liver as glycogen.
Glucose, if it were in excess, would not be stored in your liver, it would be stored in your fat cells. Fructose is stored in the liver and used for fuel when needed when it is in excess.

Quote:
I was going to try to stay on the edge, i.e. never introduce more glucose than my muscles and brain were calling for, so I could stay in ketosis while not being so drained from the very low carb approach I have taken in the past.
The human body is an amazing thing, it can actually produce glucose when it's needed from substances it finds w/in your body - and it does this on a daily basis. The process is called Gluconeogenesis and it's all part of glucose homeostasis (keeping blood glucose levels stablized). Being drained isn't necessary, you could follow a LC WOE that permits you sufficient carbs to function while allowing you to maintain a positive nitrogen balance resulting in fat loss. I guess what I'm having a hard time with here is figureing out why you'd want to make it this hard on yourself when it doesn't have to be?

Nat