View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 07:42

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Does pure glucose trigger an insulin response?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry12
What I want to experiment with, to lessen the burden that LC eating does to me, is to consume a good portion of my carbs in the form of glucose in small doses throughout the day and specially before and after a work out.
Jerry, using pure glucose before or after a workout is the basis of the TKD (Targeted Ketogenic Diet) which you can read more about in the CKD / BodyOpus forum. Having read The Ketogenic Diet you'd be familiar with the uses of insulin around a workout; glucose when not engaging in exercise would be used differently.

My understanding from having done a CKD is that regardless of when you consume glucose (or glucose polymers such as dextrose or maltodextrin) you will experience an insulin spike. Glucose is the simplest form of sugar and it causes a very large release of insulin (comparatively speaking) but this release is treated differently by the body when exercise is about to be performed or has taken place. Insulin is what drives the glucose into your muscle cells; it will be present when you consume the glucose regardless of exercise or not. Exercise, especially intense exercise, causes muscle glycogen to be used for fuel (if you're following the CKD the later in the week you progress the more glycogen has been used until you reach the final day and perform a depletion workout, emptying the cells as much as possible). Eating glucose post workout will help replentish those stores - insulin will be used to help accomplish this.

I suspect that if you experiemented with this you'd find that your reactions to glucose pre or post workout would be very different than your reactions to using it over the course of your normal day (at least this has been the case for me).

When you say that At the bear min. it would be stored in the liver as glycogen, which would end the state of Ketosis this is true to some extent, but less so with glucose. Fructose is however metabolised by the liver and is stored there as glycogen - the main reason that fructose is not ideal for anyone following either a CKD or a TKD - you want an insulin spike to drive the glucose into the muscle cells and fructose does not do this (hence the reason it has been labled "OK" for diabetics for years).

HTH
Nat