#13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 19:02
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Jessica-

I don't have personal experience with diabetes, but I darn sure know about addictions. I am an extremely addictive personality and have slowly gotten rid of many of them. I still have ciggies to go! I have also changed my way of eating a couple of times. First by becoming a vegetarian and second by going low carb.

How I did it differed on the circumstances. With alcohol, I had a support group and used the 10 minute trick that someone else has already suggested. I leaned heavily on my support network and did what my sponsor told me. In effect, I turned my choices over to someone else for a while until I could make good choices. I just celebrated 14 years sober.

I also dumped all sodas, but I did that a bit differently. I did not deny myself soda-but I limited it to the weekends. After a while I forgot to get my weekend soda and just stopped drinking them completely.

Both times when I changed how I ate-I used a different trick. I did both for a limited amount of time and then made my decision to keep going. I decided to try low carbing for two weeks after my doctor suggested it. I went to him because no matter what I did I could not lose weight. He said-do the low carb thing for two weeks and if it doesn't work we will try something else. I figured I could do anything for two weeks. Two weeks later, I had dropped four pounds and had made it through the fatigue and feeling lousy. Since I saw results and I was feeling pretty good, I decided to try it for a while longer. I have only been doing lc for a little over two months, but it has been wonderful.

Same thing with becoming a veg head. I lived without meat for two or three weeks and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I decided to see how far I could take it. That was 7 years ago.

I think you have made an important first step. I hope this time it takes for you. You know what the stakes are.

Keep coming here and we will help you get through this and become healthy.

Paleoanth