#5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 17:38

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Lessara

Two things

First, maybe it's the type of carbs, not the quantity? If you're snacking or binging on high glycemic carbs, those are going to be absorbed faster, so maybe that's the problem?

Second: on the caffeine....did you pass out completely? as in loose consiousness? if so this must be reported to your doc! It could be related to your heart. If you had a high, regular intake of caffeine you may have become desensistized to it....I know I was. Now, however, since you've stopped using caffeine you're much more sensitive to it's effects. In the past I took a cup of coffee or tea to bed with me every night...and took sips of it during the night if I woke up thirsty....now if I have caffeine past 6pm or so it will keep me awake! even if it's only a few ounces.

However, if the reason for you fainted is because of a heart problem, this is very dangerous and you may not be able to ever drink the same amount of caffeine.

Even if you feel well now, please report this to your doc if you did pass out! Any time somone looses consciousness, regardless of the cause, it is considered a medical emergency . And if it is heart related it can be very dangerous and must be diagnosed! Do you ever have episodes of rapid heart beating or pounding? feel like your heart is racing? Have trouble catching your breath? Do these symptoms ever occur when you're doing little or nothing? like watching TV? reading, etc? Now, if this happened several days ago and you feel fine now, the doc will likely just have you checked when you come in for a regular appointment....but depending on your personal medical history, and your doc, s/he may want you to be seen right away! Especially if you have any of the other symptoms I mentioned.

There are several mechanisms that can all lead to rapid heart rate, tachycardia. Most are fairly benign, and easily treatable....but a few are or can be dangerous if left untreated. This also may (and often) have nothing to do with coronary artery disease (CAD). Regardless of the mechanism, the rate may be irregular or not. The heart rate can at times go over 300 bpm! If your resting heart rate goes over 100 it should also be checked...it could be a sign of things to come. A simple EKG may or may not show a problem....if you have an EKG and all is fine, ask your doc about a wearable monitor. There are 2 types....one the "Holter Monitor" is worn for 24 hrs and records everything your heart does (you have to keep a log of all your activity). The second, an "event monitor" can be worn continuously (my preference) or used as needed for up to a month (longer if symptoms aren't caught). BOTH should be covered by your insurance! (If yu need any more info on this, please feel free to PM or email me)

Also....you might want to ask your doc to check your electrolytes....even if, or especially if, you take supplements! If these are out of wack you could be more sensitive to caffeine....well not really more sensitive, but the reaction could be stronger. Example....potassium (K) can effect heart rate. If your K is too high or too low it certainly could change a mildly racing heart into an uncontrolably racing one! It can also change the regularity of your heart. Please check with your doc, don't just increase or cut out the supplements (at least potassium) on your own.

RN for over 25 years, with over 7 of them as a cardiac nurse (including 2 1/2 years with a company that does the holter and event monitoring).

Good luck!

Cindy