View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 17:10

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Jessica!

Addictions can be strange things. You know it's bad for you and that it's ruining your health, but darn that cake/cookie/pasta still looks good!

I've been a type 2 diabetic for 10 years. At first, I didn't really take it too seriously. I figured I'd just follow the diet they gave me, get a little exercise and everything would be fine, right? Well, for a while it was. I lost a lot of weight by exercising and just keeping my calories low (1,200 a day or less). Then I got pregnant...3 times. I did okay during the pregnancies; even managed to stay off insulin all 3 times, but afterwards it was awful. Post partum depression set in and I turned to the "great white psychologist" and gained back all of the weight I'd lost and then some. Blood sugar was still okay, so I figured everything was cool. Well....a few more years down the road to 2001. My blood sugars suddenly went out of control even though I was really sticking to the old diet this time and I wasn't even losing weight. By the time I got to the doctor, my blood pressure was also dangerously high....so high that he gave me medication right there and wouldn't let me leave until it came down to a safe range and was going to put me in the hospital if they couldn't get it to come down. He was afraid that I was about to have a stroke right there!
That scared me. A lot. The whole time I was laying in the doctor's office waiting for my blood pressure to come down or be sent to the hospital (which was a couple of hours) I kept thinking about what would happen to my 2 little girls if something terrible happened to me. Sure, my husband would raise them, but how would they grow up without a mother?
I made up my mind then and there that I was going to do whatever it took to get my health back again. I had tried low carb before but gave up when I hit my first stall after losing 30 lbs thiking that it just wasn't working for me. A friend recommended Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution to me, so I got the book and started the plan immediately. The rest is history. My husband has been absolutely behind me in all of this (I think he wants me to live a little longer too!) and is a wonderful source of support. He's even low carbing with me.
Please don't let it get to the point that I did. It took a bad scare to shape me up and get me serious about taking care of me.
If you have to, think about all the bad things that can and will happen to you the next time you're tempted to eat something you know you shouldn't and think also about whether your health is worth whatever it is that you are about to eat.
Please take care of yourself. If you don't, nobody else will!