Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 16:11
Registered Member

Plan: Dr R Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 291/282/200
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Kidney

Hi there...

I did have some kidney function tests which showed some protein in my urine (albuminuria) ... he said a sign of the beginning of diabetic nephropathy.

I specially asked him if I should reduce consumption of protein, and he said it was not necessary. I even mentioned that I would try low carbing and he said that was fine initially so as to assist in weight loss. So now I am confused. I am scheduled to have another test done in January to confirm the accuracy of the first test.

He has put me onto a blood pressure medication which assists in slowing or preventing further deterioration.

Also, he said the most important thing was to get my BGL normal. Eating carbs did not work ... so I guess if the protein in this diet is causing me problems, my only other option is to eat carbs and go onto insulin?? (I don't want to do that).

I have only been following this plan for 9 days. Its seems hard to believe that the swelling could be caused by my kidneys after such a short period of time. Also, I'm not sure I am eating more protein now than I was before I started this plan. My BGL's have been consistently under 10 for 2 days now and are still dropping (still high I know, but better than consistently 14 which is where they were before.

I REALLY don't want to start insulin injections.

Very depressed now....