View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 15:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 180/154/140
BF:
Progress: 65%

Oh yes -- I forgot to mention something: My Dad was diagnosed with Type II about 10 years ago or so. For quite some time his (ex) wife didn't really take it seriously. She kept cooking desserts & mashed potatoes. My dad, being the kind of guy he is, never wanted to rock the boat with her, and so his blood levels kept getting worse. It got to the point where he had to start taking pills instead of just changing his diet.

It seems like a couple of years ago they changed the threashold number in your blood count that makes you diabetic. (I know I phrased that horribly, but I couldn't remember what the darned # is called!) It made his situation even worse. The doctor called my dad's wife in the office & gave her what for! The doctor told them both horror stories about diabetics losing feet & eyes & even death. Sometimes it takes a punch in the face like some guy without his feet to really wake you up.

The long story short is that the ex-wifey started cooking a diabetic diet & my Dad started taking things more seriously too. Now he's off his meds & he wears the same size pants he did in college.

I'm sure his story is just one of a growing number of success stories. I read somewhere (probably here) that good health starts in the kitchen.

I'm really glad to see you've started by buying some yummy meat & protein. Great! My dh was the same way as you've described yours, but after his big hiney saw me lose 30 lbs. he starting to do reduced carb too. It's hard to lead by example all of the time, but it sounds like you're on the right path. Can't wait to check your journal someday & see how great you're doing.