View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 14:27

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Pam, I split your question off from my gym log and placed it in the BFL Forum - I think it's something others will definitely benefit from

Quote:
Do I need to space the meals out any certain way for weight training or should I do that on an empty stomach as well?
Resistance work on an empty stomach is more a matter of preference than anything, IMHO. I started off doing it this way, but have since changed. My reasoning: the purpose of weight lifting is to build muscle, this is a lot easier when you have the building blocks available to you.

The reasoning behind a.m. workouts are twofold.
  • 1. You get it done and over with. This applies to both cardio and resistance work.
    2. It revs up your metabolism for the rest of the day. This applies to both cardio and resistance work, but more to cardio, especially HIIT.
The reasoning behind not doing a.m. lifting is this: When you wake up in the morning after 8-12 hours of fasting you are as catabolic as you are going to get. Lifting weights further breaks down tissue. To build muscle you need a positive nitrogen balance, you need to be anabolic. Having a few meals in you makes this possible. Many also find they are stronger and can lift heavier later in the day. Lift more, build muscle faster.

If you do lift first thing in the morning I'd suggest having a half a cup of coffee first and popping a vitamin C tablet (250mg) then having your glutamine and protein shake immediately after your workout, along with more vit C, some E and your carbs to get cortisol under control and to switch from catabolic to anabolic.

Lifting in the p.m. I'd advise having a light meal an hour before working out and again your post workout meal w/in 45 minutes.

HTH
Nat