View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 09:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191/177/141 Female 5'6"
BF:dk/36%/25%
Progress: 28%

What a tough situation!

This is just encouragement to set the tone for diet and foods in your family. In my family, there is a lot of diabetes. As a result, my mother did not serve sweets/desserts, and breads, etc... were strictly controlled in my family growing up.

Had I stuck to the diet pattern she set, I would not have gained the weight I have over the past 10 years. A mid-life change of diet led me to ballooning weight.

But I guess I'm trying to say this - this is your life, and it is also your childrens' lives - since there is a genetic component to diabetes.

Set the tone for your family with the low carb foods you choose, don't feel compelled to surround yourself with temptation "so that the kids and husband can have them". Your husband can get his higher carb treats outside the home - at work, on break. Your kids don't need them, won't benefit from them, and *will* benefit from your setting low-carb habits for them very young.

Good luck. There's nothing wrong with you - as someone else said, changing your life is really, really tough. Is there a diabetic support group that your doc could refer you to? Here, at the local hospital, there is one, and a friend has found this helpful as she works on her diabetes.

Take care,