View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 09:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 180/154/140
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hi there! I can empathize with you - seriously. I'm sure there are a lot of folks here who can, so you're in the right place.

This might sound over simplified, but one thing I try to gain a little "real time" will power is to just tell myself to wait 20 minutes. I did this with fair success when I stopped smoking. So a craving or the sabotage comes up, like as you seem to be describing happens in your second week, you tell youself Wait 20 minutes to eat that bag of cookies (or whatever). I found that if I could win a bunch of little battles right up front, I felt more & more successful. I tried stretching it out a bit: Monday is the 20 minutes day; Tuesday is the 30 minutes day. Wednesday is 45. By the time a 1/2 and hour or 45 minutes passes, you've moved on to something else anyway & have forgotten the cookies or cigarettes or whatever. As time went on, I forgot more & more to want cigarettes. The need & craving was & still is there, but I managed to practice a healthy form of procrastination!

Another thing that helped me was a picture of a smokers black lung. Maybe try keeping a picture of how rough diabetes can be on your body on the refrigerator?

Before & After pictures have helped me too. Put a before picture on the refrigerator or the pantry. Maybe another one on your mirror in the bathroom? It sounds morbid, but for me at least, pictures are more accurate than my memory of myself.

OK -- I'll stop bombarding you with suggestions. I hope you can find some peace for yourself soon. You sound pretty upset.

Best wishes You CAN do this.