View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 21:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/340/180
BF:
Progress: 0%

Kristine, thanks for your input.....

> Has a doctor confirmed your insulin resistance? ie with a glucose tolerance test with insulin levels?

No, this is pure speculation based on the fact I have been on low calorie, low fat diets of 1200 calories a day and for 3 months straight I never lost a pound. Yet on very LC diet, I can consume 6000 - 8000 calories a day and loose about a pound a day. Its this math that convinced me I fit the description perfectly. I can't even find a Dr. that understands the term insulin resistance? Can you tell me about the test? How reliable is it? How successful has the Glucophage been in treating the condition? Very interesting, maybe this is the pill I am looking for :-) I am interested in learning more.

> Now, purely for the purpose of brainstorming, are you certain that the brain fog is lack-of-carbs related? Have you considered picking up a cheap glucometer to check your blood sugar levels?

I do not religiously check my blood sugar levels. Of course when I am eating only 20 g carbs a day, I would assume my level is low, that is only to be expected, right? The reason I suspect its the lack of carbs feeding my brain, which is creating the fog, is because one dose of carbs and the problem always clears up immediately. And when I am not LC, I never suffer this fog. Unless I am very tired due to no sleep for a day or two.... but that is to be expected. Is there a way you can suggest I monitor my sugar level to investigate this further? I have a glucometer.

> Is there any other pattern to the brain fog? Could you be deficient in some nutrient or another, like potassium?

Well, I doubt it, otherwise the moment I eat an apple, the fog goes away. (this is my cheat when I am really dragging and need to be fully coherent on a given day) If I was deficeint in a nutrient, and it was the cause of the fog, I doubt the apple would clear it up?

> Do you have any symptoms of depression?

No, other than the fact I get aggrevated I can't eat the foods I want :-) But the LC WOE does make me "slightly" less motivated, less positive, less zip, vs. when I am eating high carbs, say 200 - 250 grams a day.

> Are you on any medications that could cause the 'zombiness' as a side effect? You don't have to answer those questions; I'm just tossing ideas out.

No, I rarely if ever take medications, I never smoked, have not drank in 20 years, no recreational drugs....Geeez, no wonder I want to eat all the time! :-)