View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 15:00

Plan: CAD
Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

I did miss the original point of the question, you are right. I will get to that in a minute.

I'm sorry if you felt that that was an attack on my part, I meant nothing by it.

Quote:
Originally posted by agonycat:
It just really concerns me about false information being spread. Or assumptions being made without any real hard core research at hand. I have read the CAD books and I don't EVER recall Heller's stating that Atkin's past induction doesn't work for people. I really believe it is an individual thing based on how carbs effect a person's metabolism.

I just didn't see why that was necessary, since she stated in the beginning that it was her opinion. Perhaps you didn't mean it in the way I took it...

It is also not uncommon for Atkins followers to snack in between meals. It is not uncommon for ANY diet, lowcarb or lowfat. I guess the journals I read through must have been a coincidence, because a lot of them are eating nuts or some other low carb snack in between.

You keep referring to Zuleikaa saying a "blanket statement" that Atkins followers eat every 2-3 hours.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuleikaa:
Therefore, when you get off induction and start adding back in some of the carbier vegetables or other than allowed CAD/CALP foods and spreading them throughout the day, you (CA) cause increased hunger/cravings and accompanying weight stall/gain. You (CA) find you have the need to eat every two hours and are often hungry and unsatisfied.

She is saying that that AFTER induction, the carbs that are added back in are triggering reactions in a carbohydrate addict, and in turn, they will feel the need to snack or eat again in a few hours. I believe that this statement above was the answer to your question.

Induction works because you are eating such a low amount of carbs, your insulin never gets very high, even if it is released 4 or 5 times. Remember, the first wave is based on previous meals, and if you have been eating 20 grams or less the entire day, you just aren't getting much insulin in your body period.

Quote:
I think this needs to be more specific as to number of carbs one eats as to just making a blanket statement that anything but Atkin's induction doesn't work for a carb addict. Wouldn't you agree?

It is not really a matter of number of carbs, it is realy a matter of how much insulin is produced from that particular food. If they eat a moderate amount of broccoli, or diet soda, it may cause their (they as in carb addict) insulin to rise and in turn make them hungry or unsatisfied earlier and more frequently. To someone who is allergic to carbs, YES the number of carbs is VERY important. They just can't take in a large amount. Period. THeir body reacts to the CARBS. The actual amount of food. Whereas the addict reacts to the INSULIN. If you want to go into numbers, it would be the glycemic index. The higher the GI number, the more it will affect a carb addict, even if it is a low number of carbohydrate grams.

Quote:
This forum is ment for Low Carbers in general and is not ment as a bashing ground for one diet over another. It is not ment to prove one diet is better than the other. We support each other in one goal and that is to lose weight. It doesn't matter which diet you chose to follow.

I am, again, sorry if you took my post as a bashing against anyone or any plan. I personally feel that if you are allergic to carbs, you should definitely NOT be on CAD. And if you are an addict, you probably won't do so well on Atkins.

I am not (nor is Zuleikaa, as far as I've read) attacking Atkins nor any other plan, just posting on why it works for some and doesn't for others.

As I read the the Confession Forum, and see some of the Atkins people stall and continue cheating, I read their journals and see a direct correlation between snacks like sugar substitutes and nutes or alcohol and their hunger and snacking. If this thread was posted in a place that more might see it, they might understand they are they either addicted or allergic to carbs and that might explain why WHATEVER PLAN THEY ARE ON is not working. If we see someone on here that is not doing well, especially during RMs, I know I would most likely suggest that he/she is allergic, and need to be on a stricter low carb plan. There is nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong from switching to Atkins to CAD either.