View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 14:09

Plan: CAD
Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

First of all AgonyCat, if you read the very first words from Zuleikaa's post, it says:

Quote:
This is only my OPINION!!!

and you replied with:

Quote:
I am rather curious as to how you came to this conclusion..

She couldn't possible be spreading false information if her post was her opinion.

Secondly,

I understand completely why some Atkins people might have a hard time after induction because if you are snacking on nuts, your body releases insulin for those carbs. If you are a true carb addict, that release of insulin affects your cravings.

While I have not been on a low-carb woe very long, after my inital drop in weight I started doing a lot of research on WHY it is working when nothing else did. I reviewed ALL of the plans out there, and searched and read through an unbelievable amount of posts and journals from multiple lowcarb forums. While this by no means makes me an expert on the subject, I feel I have a pretty good grasp on what is going on.

I found that a lot of the people who stall for a long period of time on Atkins are stalling because of a carbohydrate addiction. Those snacks that they eat in between (and MOST of them do report having some kind of carb, whether it be small or medium amount, ie. nuts) are what is stalling them. SAME with the sugar substitutes.

They have insulin resistance still, and their body will continue to store fat because of the continuing release of insulin. THey may even gain a pound or two.

MY PERSONAL OPINION on why carbohydrate ADDICTS have a hard time with CAD's Reward Meal is because they are not addicts at all, but are allergic to them. A person's chemistry and biological balance can be thrown off if they have an ALLERGY to the food they are eating. However, if it is an addiction, the Reward Meal should NOT affect them because of how insulin is released.

Your pancreas releases the insuling in two waves, the first is based on your past meals and how much insulin was released during those. On CAD, you are extremely limited so very little amount of insulin is released during RM. The second wave is 60-70 minutes after the first, and it is based on any remaining carbs being eaten during the release. Which is why going even 5 MINUTES over your RM can spell disaster for a carb addict. However, if you are allergic to a carb, it doesnt really matter WHEN you eat those carbs, because it will set of a reaction just from EATING them.

Which is why people who are allergic to carbs need to be on strict low carb diets. Like Atkins. However, people who are addicted to carbs can very easily lose weight and be happy on the CAD because it is SPECIFICALLY for carbohydrate addicts. They are not hungry or craving because of the CARBS it is because of the constant INSULIN release. Allergic people will react the CARBS - the actual food - not the insulin. Which is why they can eat sugar free foods without a reaction. And it is why addicts can NOT.

To me, it sounds like you are allergic to carbs. Which is why you could not handle the RM. Your body can't take the high amount of carbs taken in, and it reacts accordingly. However, if you were an addict, and ate within the hour, the only reason why you would cheat, would be psychological. I know that there has been a few times where I THINK I want something, after my RM, but I know it is in my mind. I can tell when it is a physiological craving when after my RM i feel very lethargic or I get a false hunger a couple hours later. I've only had that once, when I had a few almonds, but forgot to start the hour then, and started eating about 20 minutes later. I basically started my insulin release when I ate the almonds, and by the time I started my actual meal and finished it, it was over an hour and my body understood I was eating high carbs and released a LARGE second wave of insulin. Which in turn gave me the lethargic feeling and hunger afterwards. I have NEVER had that any other time during my RM. That is how I know I am a carb ADDICT.

Again, this is through my studying journals of people who are different low carb plans, and through their own personal posting in the forums.

Essentially, this is my OBSERVATION which allows me to form my OPINION. Since i DO NOT have the resources available to conduct a scientific study, I can not say that this is fact. I do agree with nearly all Zuleikaa has been saying and believe she has done her own research as well, as with personal experience.

I do not see any fallacies here....