View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 06:20

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 186/161/138 Female 65 inches
BF:38/30ish/?
Progress: 52%
Question Discussion idea

I didn't post about height/weight, only about bodyfat, and I think it's wrong to say it's not a good site because it doesn't fit everyone's body.

For me, thought, it was so right on target it was scary. It put my 23% healthy bodyfat weight at 138. That was my goal weight (out of my head) when I did weight watchers. At the same time, I know it's not the weight I'd love to be, and that I can go lower.

I can go much lower, just have NEVER gotten the maintenance part of any plan and always just rise back into the 150s. I don't think it's the low weight that makes it hard for me to maintain, just the actual "learning/doing" maintenance part. I vow to DO IT this time.

One other interesting tidbit I learned about bodyfat (though I read this years ago and don't have the info to back it up), is that two people with the exact same height and bone structure, but with a very big weight difference, will have a very different lean.

Take me for instance at 5'5" and 106lbs lean (eek, the rest fat). I've never been more than my 160s and I yoyo alot (implies low lean). Then take another woman just like me, but who's been in the 200+ range for years (the time range is also important). She might have a lean of 125 or more. So when she calculates her bodyfat and the so-called 23% healthy bodyfat, the calculator will tell her that 164 is a good weight for her. (my numbers may be screwy here).

Overweight people are strong because they have bigger muscles (whereas I'm a wimp), and their body needs bigger muscles to move their larger mass. At the same time, I suppose it's not unrealistic to realize at a lower weight, losing some muscle weight isn't the end all.

I do think it could be an interesting discussion though. If you know your bodyfat, how long you've been overweight, and how you fit into different charts. What made you choose your goal weight. Stuff like that....any takers?