View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-07, 09:52

Plan: Calorie counting
Stats: 170/156/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default My dad was right...

Wow... how long have I been a member of this forum and I never really explored the gym log features of this site
I guess I've got some catching up to do... luckily I haven't been regularly exercising that long that I can still kick off a gym log

Brief synopsis of what's brought me here:

My father passed away from lung cancer on March 11th of this year, 2007. It was only a little over 4 months since he was diagnosed. He had been smoking his entire life.
Once he was diagnosed and started getting sick, he started reiterating to me how important one's health was...
I remember being in the hospital with my dad, before they brought him home on hospice care and he told me that there's a Chinese saying..
that your health is always #1... if you have family, put a 0 to the right of the 1 so you have 10... have wealth, add another zero...love, another zero...
and the higher your number is, the more fulfilling your life is...
but take away that #1.. and you have nothing... all you have are a bunch of 0's...
nothing matters if you don't have your health
and I just thought that was so profound and sad and true.. and it's one of the last things my dad ever said to me in his final days that I will never ever forget...

Shortly before my dad passed, DH and I invested in a real treadmill. I mean a refurbished top of the line commercial treadmill (what you would find in gyms across the country)... not a "home" treadmill..
Brand new, this thing retailed over $5K
We bought it refurbished (2005 model) for little less than half of that...
It was still a TON of money but we had gone through the WalMart special treadmills before and knew that wasn't what we wanted...
After my dad passed, I started really focusing on my health and using it..
So far, since having the treadmill hooked up (it required its own grounded cable, special outlet and dedicated line ran directly from the breaker box) I have used it almost every single day.

My goal is to some day look back on my gym log at the very first page and maintain my promise to be a better healthier me. Because my dad is right.. without your health, you have nothing.
Sponsored Links