View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 08:02

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Hi Nat, I saw that you mentioned you had some glutamine, creatine, dextrose, & whey protein after a workout. What does the dextrose do? I have also been toying with the idea of adding creatine as well, I read trainerdan says it's just fine for women. My reservation is the bloating I read it can cause, do you find that to be so?
Hi there, toots Figured if I answered in here it wouldn't get lost and you'd see it sooner.

The dextrose is something I do post workout for a controlled insulin spike, to neutralize cortisol and get me all anabolic again. It's a hold over from my CKD workouts - most programs like BFL suggest you use a high G.I. fruit for this, but learning about the CKD I came to understand that fructose is not the best choice for this as it does not cause as much of a rise in insulin - it replentishes liver glycogen instead of muscle glycogen. Dextrose and maltodextrin are one step removed from glucose which makes them a better alternative; so I eat candies after I workout. Not for everyone, I know... but I also discovered doing the CKD that I am truly not a carb addict.

I started the creatine during TOM when the scale was up a few lbs and I didn't load it. That was about 3 weeks ago. The scale pretty much stayed the same (already up n bloated somewhat) but that was it - it has since come back down, and judging from how clothing is fitting I would bet that if I stopped with the creatine I'd be down 3 or 4 lbs right now. I can usually judge bloating based on how my rings fit; they never got 'tight' or uncomfortable. I have noticed strength gains since taking it, and it's something I will keep using (cycling however as per instructions).

FYI, there is a non-bloating creatine on the market now, I'm pretty sure it's called "TRAC". I've seen it discussed at abcbodybuilding.com and I've seen ads for it in Muscle Fitness Hers and Oxygen -it is aimed at women, not surprizingly

I'm glad my pain and DOMS is inspiring someone! Keep up the good work - I think it's great you're working out with your dad but I can sympathise with having to wait to use the equipment, I hate that part about sharing!

Cheers,
Nat