#15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 12:41

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Talking But, Wait! There's More!!!!

Hi, kypraia and Janeydi!!
I discussed this earlier, but there is another reason for population increase after the advent of agriculture...something in the grain-based diet makes women more fertile as is evidenced by the late (as late as 23 years old!) onset of menstruation and fertility in hunter and gathering groups. So, it's not just the need for more labor...although that is one reason...a very big reason as people moved into a labor-intensive lifestyle.

The latest studies of young girls, worldwide, show that menstruation (in girls) and other aspects of physical development (of boys and girls) have been moving into the lower age brackets since the advent of agriculture. Only recently (last 50, or so years) there has been an explosion in the earlier development of young girls, especially in Western "civilized" countries...notice that it is the Western countries who have the greatest amount of food preservatives, additives, flouride and other chemicals in our water, and variety of grains available for human and animal consumption.

Another thing about that alcohol thing...grains contain a highly addictive and somewhat euphoric set of chemicals that only recently have been found. The addiction is sometimes considered almost as hard to break away from as from cigarettes or certain illegal drugs. The euphoria that comes from eating grains is not like heroin, or even alcohol, but it is a feel-good thingy. There is a certain feeling of well-being that comes from the eating of grains. Add to that the ability to make alcohol drinks from grain fermentation and you have a "deadly combination."

Another interesting thing...just read it in latest issue of Popular Science, I believe...seems that scientists are now finding traces of chemical isotopes of certain foods imbedded in fossil teeth...soething like that, anyway...I refer you to the most-recent issue of Popular Science about using teeth from our ancestors to tell what they ate.

I love this thread. Awaiting more input from all of you knowledgeable low-carbers, out there. The Glory of God (or your higher power, or the power of the Universe) is Intelligence!!