Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 05:25
Registered Member

Plan: Dr R Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 291/282/200
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Just wanted to say hi

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say hi as I am a fellow Aussie. I found this site on the weekend and already have benefited from the Mayo thread as I had trouble finding a good one. I tried the Hellman's mayo tonight mixed with a little Wasabi on some BBQ trout. It was great.

So here is my story. I was diagnosed with Diabetes around 1 year ago. I am overweight, but tall and muscular and not too unfit.. I walk a lot. I have a lot of trouble losing weight. I have just started on Metformin which I believe will help me control my Blood Glucose Level. More importantly losing weight will help that. I have listed to my doctors and dieticians for a year, and followed their advice. It didn't work. My BGL is still out of control and I have not lost weight. So I did some research. I found a copy of Dr Bernstein's book on a recent trip to the USA. I also read a copy of Atkins. I have decided to take my treatment into my own hands in a desperate bid to fend of insulin injections (having watched my father do this for 40 years it is a path I would rather not tread).

Anyway, after 3 days my BGL has already dropped from 14.8 to 10.4. That's a good start. My goal is to get it below 8.0 and keep it there. This is the main purpose of my being here, but hell, if I lose a little weight along the way then great.

I have read the forums a lot, especially the diabetics forums on here and they are helpful. I am going to follow the low carb life well, but I am not intending to obsess about scales or my weight... its about getting healthy and feeling well.

Thanks all
Sweetie from Sydney
Sponsored Links